Re: Newspaper clippings

Barbara,

        Yes, copying them on to acid-free paper is the way to go.  There is no
intrinsic value in the historic newsclipping per se -- only in the
information it contains.  Also, I've found a couple tricks that help make
the clippings come out better on the photocopier:  1) Use the "photo mode"
if your copier has one; even if there isn't a photo in the clipping, the
photo mode helps eliminate the acid stains and yellowing.  Sometimes you
need a combination of photo mode and "darker" to get the best possible
image.  2) If the clipping is smaller than 8 1/2 x 11" and it is acid
stained, lay it on the copier and then cover it with a piece of colored
paper that is about the same tone as the stained clipping.  This reduces the
contrast between the clipping and the white background of the copier cover
and results in a better copy.  3) As to those without dates, sometimes other
articles that appear around the item of interest to you, or information on
the other side of the clipping, can help date it or identify the source.  So
before trimming the original to make the photocopy, look for clues, or even
photocopy the front and back sides intact.

Catherine Bruck
University Archivist
Illinois Institute of Technology
Paul V. Galvin Library