Re: newspaper clippings

Title: re: newspaper clippings
Greetings to all,

Although the recommended practice is to photocopy newspaper clippings onto acid free paper and dispose of the original, due to their often fragile an acidic condition, it is important to consider what age it is.  Here at the Preservation Department at Indiana University, we get all kinds of stuff, including newspaper and other documents made out of newsprint and rag paper, and its a big decision to decide to keep or discard the original.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not agreeing with Baker on the concept of preserving everything, but just those newspaper clippings that date from perhaps the middle of the 19th century.

Harrison Wick
NEH Microfilming Project
Preservation Department
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana

Harrison Wick is currently finishing a dual Masters in Library and Information Science with a Specialization in Archives. The NEH is funding a two-year grant at Indiana University to film brittle early 20th century Latin American serials.