Patrons photographing collections

Dear listserv members,

Does anyone have a policy about patrons taking their own photos of
collections (such as manuscripts, maps and printed works) that you would be
willing to share with us?

We are getting more requests from patrons that they be allowed to bring
their own camera to our reading room and photograph our collections.  There
are many reasons why they ask to do this: because they don't want to pay for
a photocopy,  the item is too large for us to photocopy and they do not want
to take notes by hand, they want to publish the image or display it at home
or use it in a school project, etc.  On occasion, we will take items out to
a local studio to have them photographed for a book, for example, but this
requires staff time and is not inexpensive for the patron.

We would appreciate any advice that anyone might have for dealing with these
requests.

Thanks!

Anne Kling
Cincinnati Museum Center