Re: National Archives Releases Researcher Topics List

I find it ironic that archivists might lean toward arbitrary information
restriction which would be illegal under existing statutes that require
prompt release of all records unless they are exempt from release, although
I concur that there are certain unexplored philosophically interesting
ethical issues associated with release of researcher interest topics.

But a review of the actual record shows that such concerns are generally
unwarranted.  I hope that anyone critical of the release of such data would
examine the records at issue first.  I will supply an electronic copy upon
request.

The law says that these records must be release;  there is no discretion to
withhold this data.  There is no personal and private information being
released, all of the personal identifiers have been removed.  The public
pays the cost of maintaining the archives.

To address the other comment, the NARA says that it collects this data to
conduct studies on the use of the research collections.  However, it has
recently indicated that it has done no such studies!

Mike Ravnitzky
mikerav@ix.netcom.com