University Archives Photos: Thanks

Hello All --
First, let me thank all of you who responded to my query last week about
University Archives photo collections.  As usual, a wealth of
information poured in.  Now it's up to me to keep up my end of the
bargain and summarize.

First, two people provided me with websites listing descriptions of
their photograph collections:

http://www.uab.edu/historical/photos.html
http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/spc/findaids_title.html (under G for
General Photograph Collection)

Next, many, many people organized collections either topically, or with
some form of topical distinction.  Some other arrangement strategies
included the following:

Loose subject files, with topical series and sub-series
Alphabetical by topic
Sometimes chronologically within topic (though one person thought
chronological wasn't helpful)
By form (Negatives, Contact Sheets, prints, slides) and then
chronological, and topical
By office organization or person who donated the photographs
Chronological and Numerical

Common topical categories included:
Activities
Alumni
Athletics
Buildings
Campus
Classes
Departments
Events
Faculty
Organizations
People
Student Organizations
Students

Thanks again to all who helped.  We're going with broad topical series,
with sub-series within topic.  Some of the sub-series will be organized
of the Old Main building).  As for digitizing, well we'll see.  That's
another can of worms entirely.... And I'm sure it will call for the help
of the list.

Best regards,
Amy

Assistant Professor Amy Cooper