Re: Sharon Centanne's STOP CHENEY email to list

Fellow archivists:

I am getting tired of the political rantings on this listserv.  They serve
no rhetorical purpose, since a causal e-mail is not going to cause most
people to have a profound change of heart.  They also serve no informational
purpose since they do not provide the detailed content of a newspaper.

In addition to being pointless, they can also be offensive.  Both Ms
Manning, our "self-described activist-feminist-archivist," and Ms Centanne,
who started this discussion, seem to think that the archivists profession is
filled to the brim with members of the radical left.  This is not so.  I am
sure that if the SAA were to survey its membership as to its political
affiliations, Democrats would out number Republicans, but I am also sure
that Republicans would make up a sizeable minority.  When someone insults
and impugns the leader of ones party, as both Ms Manning and Ms Centanne
have done, members of that party will naturally be offended.

Ms Manning, Ms Centanne, et. al., please lets keep this listserv confined to
the topic of archivy.  You can of course express your political beliefs
however you wish: write letters to your congressmen, donate money to
political organizations, hold public protests, or just heave a brick through
the window of your local Starbucks.  I don't care what you do, as long as
you don't do it on the Archives Listserv.

Yours sincerely,
Seth Kronemer