Re: Archives closing for lunch

I am taking the liberty to reply to the list since this may be of interest
to others.

I close for lunch but I don't take it at the same time every day--it
depends on what's going on that day. It probably wouldn't help if I did set
aside an official time because I'm sure there will always be a patron who
wants to visit at that time.  If I have a student assistant who can work
through the lunch hour, then it's open, with limited help.  Unless you've
got another staff member who is actually trained to work in your archives
and can actually offer help, it's probably not worth it to have them cover
the desk.  If you do and have plenty of foot traffic, then it might be
worth it.

At 02:39 PM 5/22/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Could any of you tell me if your archives closes for lunch? My parent
>institution is thinking about closing their archives for a hour instead of
>having to rotate other staff to cover the archives while the archivist is
>eating. How is this handled at your institution? Thank you for any and all
>information.
>
>Constance L. Jones
>Project Director
>Business & Media Archives of the Mahoning Valley
>e-mail: business_media@mahoninghistory.org
>
>A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List!

>      In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
>                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

>     http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
>Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

Beth S. Harris
Special Collections Management Librarian
P. O. Box 9000 / 7950 E. Campus Drive
Wyndham Robertson Library       Email: bharris@hollins.edu
Hollins University              Phone: (540) 362-6237
Roanoke, VA 24020               Fax: (540) 362-6756