Achival Intern Stipends

I am continuing my inquiries into stipends for archives students.

We are considering stipends for interns.  I believe most archival education programs require students to complete an internship working at an archives or special collections repository.  Here at USC, students are required to perform a 140 hour internship as part of their program.

If your institution offers a stipend to interns, please let me know the amount and comment on your institution's general experience with paid internships.

If you are a student or recent graduate, I'd like to know if a $1,000 stipend for a summer internship would attract your attention.  This amount is admittedly small, but is chiefly intended to help cover the travel and lodging expenses incurred by the intern.

Please respond to me directly and I'll post a message on the List reflecting what I learn.

Sincerely,

Herbert J. Hartsook, Curator of Modern Political Collections
South Caroliniana Library
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
(803) 777-0577

"Men must either govern or be governed; they must
take part in the control of their own lives, or they must
lead subject lives, helplessly dependent in the little things
and great things of life, upon the will and power of others."
Elihu Root, Politics and People: The Ordeal of Self-Government in America