Re: Question about restrictions

Amy,

This is what I have garnered in relation to the types of records you just
found.

First, only the Census Bureau has set the 72 year limit on confidentiality.
 Each individual government agency and private or public entity/person is
free to set their own year limit.  For instance, we have a 1945 (yes 19)
state census for Florida that is accessible by the public.  But you do run
into problems in regard to Native Americans...

Second, the problems...when doing oral histories, I have to make sure and
ascertain to the best of the narrator's knowledge that he/she is not of
Native American ancestry.  If he/she is, then I need to proceed with red
tape through the Department of the Interior.  So you may run into that.

Third, I've seen two news programs in the last two weeks on former classmates
at B.I.A. schools suing the government and their former teachers.  So watch
out.  But I'd at least make it public that they are there.  Perhaps transferring
them to the Dept. of the Interior via NARA might be an option.

Russell D. James
History grad student and archivist-in-training
University of West Florida
Pensacola, Florida USA

5406 Persimmon Hollow Rd.
Milton, FL  32583-6700
850-983-0048
neri@iwon.com

Introducing iWon Cash Points...now everyone's a winner on iWon.com.
Visit http://www.iwon.com now and start earning iWon Cash Points today!