FW: Nixon Tape

Title: FW: Nixon Tape

Last week I posted to the list regarding the RAIN item about the man trying to sell the Nixon tape.  I received this email response from someone at the Nixon Library, and with her permission am forwarding it to the list.  I received some private replies to the posting, so think at least a few of you might be interested -

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Beverly [mailto:beverly@nixonlibrary.org]
Sent:   Tuesday, May 29, 2001 3:52 PM
To:     Julie.Kerssen@METROKC.GOV
Cc:     John H. Taylor
Subject:        Nixon Tape

To:     Julie Kerssen
From: Susan Naulty, Archivist

Your inquiry of May 25th, requesting information about the film John Holiday possesses of Vice President Nixon's formal address to the First Annual Conference of the President's Council on Youth Fitness, held September 9-10,1957, at West Point, New York, and Mr. Holiday's wish to have an institution purchase the film has been referred to me.

Mr. Holiday contacted the Nixon Library in January of this year.  At that time he was offering the film for at least $1,000.  While he was thanked, his offer was turned down because the Library does not have an acquisition fund and, thus, relies upon donations of materials.

Cara DeGette's May 24, 2001, article in the Denver Post is not accurate when it states that the Nixon Library does not have a transcript of the speech.  It not only has a transcript of Richard Nixon's September 10th address but also the Vice President's opening remarks to the Conference on January 9, 1957.  Furthermore, the Nixon Library has two document case boxes of manuscripts relating to the President's Council on Youth Fitness, which are available to scholars doing research at the Nixon Library.

All archival centers are totally dedicated to preserving materials for the enlightened study of history.  While they would also like to include everything available in the boundaries of their collections, the funds which support their work are not unlimited and, thus, place practical restraints upon their wishes.

We sincerely hope a buyer will one day enter Mr. Holiday's rare book shop, buy the film, and bring delight to either the Eisenhower Library or Nixon Library by donating it to the audio-visual department of the library selected.