Re: Government Database Destroyed As A Result of and Following FOIA Request

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:17:40 -0400, Michael Ravnitzky
<mikerav@IX.NETCOM.COM> wrote:

>GOVERNMENT WEBMASTERS ARCHIVE HAS BEEN
>DESTROYED
>by Michael Ravnitzky , mikerav@ix.netcom.com
>So much for the importance of records retention schedules.  I
>am pleased to say that my request for access to these archves
>specifically and directly resulted in a decision to delete them in
>their entirety, removing them from further reference use and
>preventing their use for historical or research use in the future.
>This ability to shred entire archives in their entirety should give
>pause to anyone who favors conversion of paper records to
>electronic format, since agencies and their employees
>apparently feel that wholesale destruction of electronic records
>is not only proper but laudatory.
>
>Michael Ravnitzky

Yes it is sad that an archive was destroyed HOWEVER what I would like to
know is -- why was it necessary to file a FOIA request for the archives?
Was it just to prove that it could be done? What would be done with the
archives if they had been provided?

. think of all the information that was lost to government employees whose
work may be hampered by the lack of access to that archive. I know that I
would hate to see the A&A archives disappear.

Peterk