Hello All --  My thanks to everyone on the list who helped with this
question regarding the responses to surveys done of Native American
students, 4th - 9th grades, in BIA schools in the late1950's and early
1960's.  I thought I'd summarize responses for the list.

Most helpful were responses from two NARA offices, and ultimately this
is determining the direction of my decision. Both the Central Plains
Region office in Denver, and the Kansas City office suggest restricting
the file for 72 years after the creation of the last record.  Provision
is made for individuals who want to see their own records, or people
with letters from the BIA office indicating that it is OK for the person
to view the file.

Some people made the suggestion that we restrict the copying and
indicate to researchers that they cannot publish names or other info
that may reveal the identity of the informants.

Suggestions were also made to contact the National Archives Freedom of
Information Officer, and the BIA.  Of course, all suggested running any
decision by legal counsel, to consider conflicts with SD State law.

We have decided to take the lead from NARA and set a policy very similar
to NARA's, restricting the records for 72 years from the date of
creation of the last record, meaning that the collection will be open in
2033.  We are running this decision by our legal counsel before setting
it in stone.  There were a number of people who expressed interest in
this collection, and didn't want to see it restricted.  To help provide
some information, we will make a finding aid available for the
collection, fully defining the restrictions.

That's the summary.  Thanks again to the list!

Regards,
Amy Cooper
Assistant Professor Amy Cooper
Archivist/Special Collections Librarian