Re: RAIN 6/04 - old cartoons with racial stereotypes

Racial stereotyping wasn't limited to Bugs Bunny by any means. My wife
teaches preschool, and she is always watching for children's videos to help
keep them amused during breaks. She found a compilation of very old Heckle
and Jeckle (sic?) cartoons at a thrift store.  Fortunately, she previewed it
before taking it to work, and one cartoon in particular was especially
objectionable on this matter.

Which brings to mind something that has turned up here. Several of our
collections include  periodicals published by various companies for their
employees and clients. Some of the jokes and cartoons in issues in the 1930s
and 1940s are beyond belief by today's standards.

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Phone 419-352-5616
Fax 419-352-6086