road songs

The "I don't want a pickle" song mentioned is by Arlo Guthrie.

Whoever mentioned Red Sovine made me think of Tom Waits - "Ol' '55" and "Diamonds on My
Windshield" as well as his version of Sovine's "Big Joe and Phantom 309." (And though driving is
not the theme of these albums, CLOSING TIME and THE HEART OF SATURDAY NIGHT are two excellent
albums for long highway trips).

"200 More Miles" from the first Cowboy Junkies album.

And anyone who's ever seen the film WITHNAIL & I can vouch for Hendrix's "All Along the
Watchtower" and "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)."

In the Left-of-Center Category: the small NYC band Ida has a good song called "95 North"; "Riding
With Mary" by X; "Blue Thunder" (Galaxie 500); "Driver 8" and (sort of) "Don't Go Back to
Rockville" (REM); "Four Hearts in a Can" (Smog); "Albany Blues" (Edith Frost); "Surf Wax American"
(Weezer, though technically it's about surfing rather than driving); "Los Angeles" (Soul
Coughing); "Horses" by Palace; and the greatest American city driving song ever: "Roadrunner" by
Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers.

That's just off the top of my head...

Aaron Tieger
Cambridge MA