software for architectural design

Software for architectural design

At the Canadian Centre for Architecture we are beginning to consider
a strategy for preserving electronic records in our collections.  We
have only recently begun to receive diskettes and CDs from
architects and designers, but we know that we will receive more and
more electronic media in the near future.  In order to anticipate
the kinds of electronic records we may receive, I wonder if we
should do a survey of the architectural design software that
architects and design firms are using now, and of how (or if)
architects themselves organise or archive their electronic records
so that projects can be found in the future.  Have any institutions
with holdings of architectural material carried out this kind of
research?  Does anyone have advice to give on this subject?

Karen Potje
Head, Conservation/Preservation Department
Canadian Centre for Architecture
Montreal, Canada