RAIN 6/11: Reagan papers, invisible ink, poor record-keeping

There are 30 stories in today's posting.

Argus Leader 6/8/01
Officer purged case records
http://www.argusleader.com/news/Fridayarticle1.shtml

by Lee Williams
A Sioux Falls police detective who investigated crimes such as rapes,
assaults and child abuse was suspended earlier this year for disposing of
documents from case files, Mayor Gary Hanson said.
Hanson did not know the exact number of case files that allegedly were
disposed of by officer Jeff DeSchepper, but a former sergeant in the
detective bureau said the number exceeds 50.

Los Angeles Times 6/8/01
Assembly Oks bill on courts product data
http://www.latimes.com/news/state/20010608/t000047823.html

by Miguel Bustillo
SACRAMENTO--Legislation that would open court documents in cases involving
defective products narrowly cleared the state Assembly on Thursday despite
widespread opposition from big business.

Chattanooga Time Free Press 6/8/01
Billey says he OK'd Reed job, not credentials
http://www.timesfreepress.com/2001/jun/08jun01/webgilley.html

by Dorie Turner and Gary Tanner
Former University of Tennessee President J. Wade Gilley said Thursday he
never checked the credentials of an administrator whose hiring is under
investigation by the university.
"I never checked her resume, but I never checked people who were already
there (at the university)," said Dr. Gilley, who resigned June 1, citing
health and personal reasons.

Reuters 6/8/01
Lawsuit seeks to expose invisible ink documents
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010608/ts/crime_spying_dc_1.html

by Tabassum Zakaria
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government is still not ready to expose
World War I-era documents on invisible ink formulas, keeping them
classified, a lawyer trying to obtain them said on Friday.

Washington Post 6/8/01
World War I blackout continues: Invisible ink's invisible secret
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/politics/fedpage/A37485-2001Jun7.html

by Bill Miller
More than 80 years after the end of World War I, the United States still
won't give up the secrets behind a surreptitious tool used by the Allied
forces: invisible ink.
A public interest group filed a federal lawsuit yesterday as part of a
three-year campaign to gain access to the nation's oldest classified
documents, papers that date to World War I and bear such tantalizing titles
as "Secret Inks," "Detection of Secret Ink," "German Secret Ink Formula" and
"Pamphlet on Invisible Photography & Writing."

New York Times 6/7/01
A 'forward mail/feature for those who switch I.S.P.'s
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/07/technology/07GEE3.html

by Catherine Greenman
For many Internet users, the idea of switching I.S.P.'s carries the threat
of e-mail extinction because they would have to change their e-mail
addresses in the process. But a new e-mail forwarding service called
Re-route will unchain those who are in hate-hate relationships with their
I.S.P.'s but who have been deterred from switching to new ones.

New York Times 6/7/01
Real writers typed (they didn't 'keyboard')
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/07/technology/07GFLO.html

by Shelly Freierman
If you saw a brimmed hat, an ashtray and a big black Remington or Royal
typewriter in a 1930's movie, some big story was about to hit the streets.
Chuck and Rich's Antique Typewriter Web site and online museum offers dozens
of images of typewriters dating from the 1880's (typewriter.rydia.net). In
addition to the classic movie models, there are early typewriters, which
were more like mechanical label makers.

CNET News.com 6/7/01
Privacy group shines light on Web bugs
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6220048.html?tag=mn_hd

by Stefanie Olsen
A privacy group hopes to scare Web bugs out of hiding.
The Privacy Foundation released free software Thursday that helps consumers
detect when a site or e-mail contains a Web bug--a barely visible tracking
tag, also known as clear GIFs, used mainly by marketers to monitor consumer
habits online. Consumers can download the software, a browser add-on for
Microsoft's Internet Explorer, at the site Bugnosis. The software does not
work with other browsers.

Toledo Blade 6/8/01
High tech lines buried along railroad may net landowners a bundle
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?Avis=TO&Dato=20010608&Kate
gori=BUSINESS03&Lopenr=106080032&Ref=AR

by Jane Schmucker
Several thousand area landowners are to share in more than $1 million from a
class-action settlement compensating them for installation of fiber optic
lines on railroad right-of-ways.
The settlement - which could be as high as $6 million locally - is the
largest ever involving fiber optic installation on right-of-way land. It is
the first ever on active railroad right-of-ways, according to lawyers
representing the landowners against a subsidiary of Norfolk Southern Corp.

Nando Times 6/8/01
White House again delays release of Ronald Reagan's presidential records
http://www.nandotimes.com/politics/story/23234p-433053c.html

by Deb Reichmann
Associated Press
WASHINGTON (June 8, 2001 08:52 p.m. EDT) - The White House has delayed for a
second time the release of 68,000 pages of presidential records from the
1980s that offer a glimpse into what and who influenced policy in Ronald
Reagan's administration.

Orange County Register 6/8/01
White House holds back Reagan papers for study by lawyers
http://www.ocregister.com/nation_world/8reagan1cci.shtml

by Deb Reichmann
Associated Press
WASHINGTON The Bush administration is holding up the release of 68,000 pages
of Ronald Reagan's White House records so lawyers can first review the
confidential memos and briefing papers that could offer a glimpse into
national policy-making during the 1980s.

New York Times 6/9/01
White House delays release of advice to Reagan
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/09/politics/09ARCH.html?searchpv=nytToday

by Neil A. Lewis
Washington, June 8 --- The White House is delaying the release of thousands
of pages of old presidential records that detail the confidential advice
given Ronald Reagan by his aides, some of whom are now prominent officials
in the Bush administration.

Washington Post 6/10/01
Release of Reagan Documents Put on Hold
White House Reviewing Secret Papers, Some Dealing With Current Bush
Officials
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45939-2001Jun9.html

by George Lardner Jr
The Bush White House is blocking the release of 68,000 pages of confidential
communications between President Ronald Reagan and his advisers that
officials at the National Archives had proposed to make public months ago.
Relying on an obscure executive order that Reagan issued just before leaving
office, White House counsel Alberto R. Gonzales last week ordered another
10-week delay so Bush can decide whether to invoke "a constitutionally based
privilege or take other appropriate action."

ZDNET 6/8/01
Discover the secret relationships hidden on your hard drive
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2770987,00.html

by David Coursey
I know you. You're in my address book. I've sent you many e-mails. There are
Word documents where I talk about you and an Excel spreadsheet that includes
your name. You are listed on my Web page. You work at a company I want to
know more about. And several people who work with you are also in my address
book, various documents, and spreadsheets.
Now, if only I could find all this stuff!

Houston Chronicle 6/9/01
Story about slab had a crack in it
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/936154

by Thom Marshall
A woman called the Harris County Appraisal District quite upset after she
learned that the HCAD Web site said her home had a cracked slab.
Jim Robinson, the fellow in charge of running HCAD, is quite proud of that
Web site. He said Harris County's was the first appraisal district in the
country to post records on the Internet. Said the reason for it is so people
can compare property valuations "and bring errors to our attention."

New York Times 6/9/01
When fashion decreed stripes a capital crime
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/09/arts/09STRI.html?searchpv=nytToday

by Emily Eakin
Thinking of wearing that pinstriped suit for lunch with the boss? Or that
fancy silk striped tie? Just be thankful you didn't live a few hundred years
ago, when getup like that would not only have blown any chance of a raise
but could very well have gotten you killed.
In 1310, a cobbler in the French town of Rouen was condemned to death
because, according to the local archives, he "had been caught in striped
clothes."

Dallas Morning News 6/9/10
LBJ urged Marshall to be U.S. solicitor
http://www.dallasnews.com/texas_southwest/389285_tapes_09tex.AR.html

Associated Press
AUSTIN - President Lyndon B. Johnson worked hard in 1965 to persuade
Thurgood Marshall, then a federal judge, to accept the post of solicitor
general - the first black person to hold the post - "for the people of the
world," according to 18 hours of presidential tapes released Friday.

The Honolulu Advertiser 6/9/01
Agency late on records to Thai chef
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2001/Jun/08/ln/ln13a.html

by Brandon Masuoka
The district director of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service
yesterday admitted the agency was late to provide Thai chef Chai Chaowasaree
with documents he requested for his June 14 deportation hearing and said the
agency will remedy the situation "in a few working days."
Chai's complaint filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court said the INS
improperly withheld records and other materials after his lawyer requested
the documents March 29. The documents, the complaint said, could benefit
Chai at his deportation hearing.

Washington Post 6/10/01
D.C. keeps little data on missing
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45373-2001Jun9.html

by Arthur Santana
D.C. police have not kept comprehensive statistics on missing adults since
1995, a lapse that has prevented investigators from knowing whether the
disappearance of Chandra Levy has anything in common with hundreds of other
missing-person cases in the city.

Duluth News Tribune 6/10/01
Wisconsin foster care files lack records of visits to children
http://web.duluthnews.com/content/duluth/2001/06/10/local/du_FOST0610.htm

Associated Press
MILWAUKEE -- Some county foster care workers are not documenting that they
conducted required checks of foster children, state records show.
The records also show that workers falsely recorded visits with at-risk
children in a program meant to keep them at home with their parents under
strict monitoring.

The Guardian 6/10/01
Police errors halt crime database
http://www.observer.co.uk/politics/story/0,6903,504536,00.html

by Nick Paton Welsh
Criminal records are so full of serious errors that the launch of a new
government database of them has been indefinitely delayed.
The Government's new system, the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB), was supposed
to open in July and provide details of any individual's criminal record for
a fee.
But a recent audit concluded that 65 per cent of records have errors, and
the Home Office has accepted a recommendation by a committee of MPs to delay
its launch. It said a limited 'pilot' scheme will open in late autumn and a
final date of reopening has yet to be set.

Washington Post 6/10/01
If you're gone, you can't help find your papers
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43306-2001Jun8.html

by Michelle Singletary
It wasn't until my husband and I decided to hire a financial planner that we
discovered how disorganized our records really were.
Of course, we waited until the last minute to pull together all the
documents the planner had requested. Just hours before her arrival we were
rummaging through our files, running up and down the stairs trying to
assemble the information.
"Honey, where is the will and trust binder?" my husband asked from the den.

Miami Herald 6/10/01
BellSouth may face big fine
Utility's service often fell short
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/business/florida/digdocs/052595.htm

by Beatrice E. Garcia
BellSouth logged nearly 7,000 service violations during a four-year period
and the Office of the Public Counsel, which represented consumers before the
state's Public Service Commission, wants the regulators to fine the phone
company $100 million for these violations.
On Monday, BellSouth will be meeting with PSC staff to lay the groundwork
for an early July hearing that will decide whether the hefty fine the public
counsel is requesting is enforced.

Decatur Daily 6/10/01
Moulton leaders knew records wrong
ABI investigating clerk's financial inaccuracies
http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/010610/book.shtml

by Clyde L. Stancil
MOULTON -- Moulton city leaders were aware of bookkeeping inaccuracies in
August, seven months before the city began investigating the possible theft
of money by its city clerk.

The News & Observer 6/10/01
Earnhardt case pits privacy vs. public records
http://www.newsobserver.com/ncwire/sports/Story/505044p-503366c.html

by Mike Schneider
Associated Press
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Dale Earnhardt spent his life as the
hard-driving Intimidator, and that's the way his wife wants him remembered.
Since the NASCAR great died in February, Teresa Earnhardt has fought to
protect her husband's image and the family's privacy by keeping his autopsy
photos from public view.
She is expected to take the witness stand Monday in a court hearing that
will examine Florida's open-records law.

New Jersey Online 6/10/01
Goodyear records under seal
http://www.nj.com/news/times/index.ssf?/news/times/06-10-CQQR1NPB.html

by Joseph Dee
TRENTON -- Mercer County Superior Court Judge Neil H. Shuster is at the
epicenter of a struggle for public access to documents that a national
automobile and consumer safety organization says will show that millions of
heavy-duty Goodyear tires on light trucks here and abroad are defective.

Cincinnati Enquirer 6/10/01
Police data scattered, error-filled
System can miss problems of bad behaviour
http://enquirer.com/editions/2001/06/10/loc_police_data.html

by Dan Horn and Jane Prendergast
The system Cincinnati police rely on to detect bad behavior by officers is
inefficient, outdated and riddled with errors.
The problems persist even though city officials told a federal mediator
three years ago they would build a better system to track almost everything
about officer performance.

Sydney Morning Herald 6/10/01
Client files go astray
http://www.smh.com.au/news/0106/10/national/national11.html

by Jim O-Rourke
Confidential bank account details of dozens of Commonwealth Bank customers,
including credit card numbers, secret passwords and signatures, were sent to
the wrong fax machine, sparking grave privacy concerns.
Over a six-month period documents from about 80 people applying to sign on
to the CBA's NetBank internet banking service appeared on the fax machine at
Australian Doctor magazine in Chatswood on Sydney's north shore.

Sun-Sentinel 6/8/01
Poor record-keeping costs Aetna millions
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local/sfl-zaetna08jun08.story?coll=sfla
%2Dbusiness%2Dheadlines

by Keith Snider
Bloomberg News
Hartford, Conn· . Aetna Inc. is paying millions of dollars for people whose
benefits have expired because its record-keeping is poor, the chief
executive of the biggest U.S. health insurer told investors.

Seattle Times 6/10/01
Transferring files from old systems
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134304868_ptmrsh10.
html

Q: I'm a writer who made a giant leap from prehistoric to postmodern
computers. I have a 1986 Epson Equity II that runs 1985 Microsoft MS-DOS
Version 3.0 with 1986 Micropro Wordstar 2000 Plus, Release 2.00.
I have data on lots of those 5.25-inch double-sided, double-density
floppies. Now I have a Compaq Presario 7598 with Windows 98/Me Upgrade and
Word 2000 with a CD-RW drive and, of course, those 3.5-inch diskettes.
How can I transfer my documents from my old system to the new?

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc
Midlothian, Virginia