Re: Ethical library practices. An empowering Internet. How to participate more effectively in improving our cities' public libraries.

 From: Eoin OCeallaigh <takhisis@oceanfree.net>
http://www.topica.com/lists/libraryunderground/

 The local authority that I work for (under whose remit
 their public library service falls) has instigated a
 formal system whereby any staff member can lodge a
 query through a communications team (for want of a
 better phrase) on any aspect of policy or service and
 the authority is OBLIGED to provide a proper response
 within a set time limit.

 At first I was very sceptical thinking that it would be
 more useful to improve communication structures rather
 than impose such a draconian mechanism, but from what I
 have seen it has worked very well and people by and
 large are very happy with it.

 Obviously it makes things better if any employee,
 regardless of grade, can call this information out into
 the open and where everyone, communally, can examine
 the structures and policies that they must work with.

 I wouldn't say everything is now perfect but it is
 certianly an interesting and commendable initiative.

 As regards patrons having access to similar information
 let me say two things, firstly as information
 providers, library services should be seen to lead the
 way with policies that are progressive as regards
 providing information on themselves, and secondly,
 surely it is an undeniable principle that if taxpayers
 monies are being used to provide a service (any
 service, not just libraries) that they are entitled to
 clear, accessible explanations as to how that money is
 spent.

 Eoin.
http://www.topica.com/lists/libraryunderground/