Re: Fragile scrapbooks

Sounds similar to scrapbooks and files received (by my former employer) from
an industrial designer/artist from the 1940s....sketches, textile samples,
photos and so forth.

These were carefully taken apart but kept in the same order, the pages
interleaved with clay-coated buffering paper and put into MetalEdge flat
boxes or folio boxes depending on the type and size of the original record.

I never encountered any problem with access thereafter, and the collection
has remained useful and relatively popular with certain scholars of the
industrial arts.

The only thing I might suggest somehow adding or imposing is page numbers
and an index so that order is maintained and specific items are easily
searched. This might help cut down on wear and tear since a researcher would
not have to see every page or object (unless required).

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
California State Archives