From: Mark Lambert [mailto:mlambert@stcl.edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 3:43 PM
To: Kurilecz, Peter
Subject: Re: Flood query RE: HUMOR YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM HOUSTON IF . . .
. .

Peter:
Yes, but a little soggy.  My home, in the Clear Lake area, never really
was threatened, until the storm drain in front of my neighbor's house
started backing up at 2:30 am Saturday.  I put on swim trunks and
sneakers, and with a shovel, got the water flowing again.  By that time,
it was 8 feet up my neighbor's yard, and two feet up mine.  That was the
darn hardest rain I have ever seen, for five hours straight, and I have
lived in Texas for 12 years, and have been through monsoons and
hurricanes in the South Pacific courtesy of the Marine Corps.

Professionally, however, my library did get a little wet.  South Texas
College of Law is in the southeast part of downtown, and a storm drain
on the Clay St. side of our building apparently couldn't handle the
water flow either, and some backed up into our first floor of our new
library by coming through our loading dock.  No materials got wet, but
we wet-vaccuumed the water up, and are drying out with big industrial
strength fans right now.  Its still a little damp, 5 days later.  My
Special Collections are safe and sound.

Paul Scott is presently apparently helping county (staff ,yes I changed the
work, but think 3 stooges) salvage
their losses-altough his record center apparently was unharmed.  The
District Attorney's office asked my library if we could house twenty
assistant DA's for a while-we haven't seen them yet.  (Any thing down by
Buffalo Bayou was trashed.  The worst hit county building was apparently
the new criminal courts building.)  UH main campus is closed all week.
90 of 105 buildings took on water.  The UH law library was supposedly
under 8 feet of water-thats what happens when you build a library
underground!  UH law is holding classes in our building starting this
week, and they are using our library.  TSU law library supposedly got
wet as well.  But the worst hit by far (and the only archive in the
Houston area I know of) was the Texas Medical Center archives.

They say this will end up being more expensive than Alicia.  Were you
here for that one?

I consider myself VERY lucky.  I hope Ole' Virginy is treating you well.

Mark

Mark Lambert
Special Collections and Government Documents Librarian
South Texas College of Law Library
Houston, TX