Rushing the Can

I don't think I can help too much, but it's quite possible that the phrase is intended to be "rushing the cane." Wish I could remember more but I've run across what I believe was a college type activity called a "cane rush" that I think was associated with fraternities. Perhaps that is where the term "rush" comes from that is still lingering in use today with regard to fraternity recruiting.

Can anyone else shed more light on what a "cane rush" was?

Steve Green
sgreen@westernfolklife.org