Re: wrapping vs. boxes/Velcro closures

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:43:26 -0400, Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
<c_crawfo@CULINARY.EDU> wrote:

>>Wrap ledgers using Velcro closures instead of string
>>Use 0.2 cardboard and make a box for ledger with Velcro closures
>
>A hint for working with Velcro closures that was passed on to me by a
knowledgeable rare books librarian: put the velcro closures on the fore edge
or top of the book (ledger) rather than front or back, so that it will not
make a bump against another book or ledger.

>Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
>Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
>(snip)

I've been reading Henry Petrosky's _The Book on the Book Shelf_ (1999) and
have thoroughly enjoyed the chaining books evolution in the mediaeval period
of western Europe and Britain.  Interesting to note that the reason for
placing the chain on a certain part of the physical book depended on the
need to keep the chain where it wouldn't interfere with the placement of
books in relation to their storage environment.

Petrosky proceeds to explain that books were stored in a different fashion
from today's traditional bookshelf.  Personally, I'd like to find a cabinet
maker who can make a book lectern like the Medici library had in the
sixteenth...

Gorgeous!

(Don't ask me what page--the book's at home)

Holly Hodges