From: Tsnspg@AOL.COM [mailto:Tsnspg@AOL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 10:34 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Hilton Reservations

I have not attended an SAA convention since 1998, so perhaps the situation I
am about to describe is neither new nor upsetting to those who have.

For the coming meeting at the Washington Hilton and Towers, I reserved a
room
and guaranteed it with a credit card. I received my credit card statement on
Monday, and the first night's lodging has already been billed to my card.

I called the hotel this morning, and the reservations clerk informed me that
this hotel takes a "credit card deposit" instead of the customary "credit
card guarantee." So I have been forced to pay for a room I will not be using
more than two months in advance. The clerk said that most hotels in the
Washington convention trade have adopted this policy.

In addition, if I decide to cancel this reservation, the deposit will be
returned only if I cancel no later than 72 hours prior to scheduled arrival.
This contrasts markedly with the standard 4:00 p.m. or 6:00 p.m.
day-of-arrival deadlines.

It is true that the reservation information in the annual meeting program
spells out these details, but since I read through these in some haste, I
thought others might have, too.

Steve Gietschier
Senior Managing Editor
News Research
The Sporting News

314 993-7787                    "No matter what happens,
314 997-0765 FAX            someone will take it too seriously."
                                --Dave Barry