Re: Hotel Reservations

Another observation about hotel rooms and energy charges:  While in Fort
Worth for the Society of Southwest Archivist meeting last month, I
noticed that my hotel room had a motion sensor attached to the
thermostat.  According to a printed notice in the room, we could set the
thermostat to our comfort level, but the motion sensor would be able to
detect when we had left the room for the day and therefore shut down the
a/c (to save energy).  The motion sensor would then detect when you
return to the room and begin cooling again.  According to the notice, it
could take up to ten minutes for your room to return to your desired
temperature.

One major problem.  My roommate and I usually did not return to the room
until late in the evening.  We moved around the room very little in
preparations for bed and the room never properly cooled off.  We were in
bed and asleep and the motion sensor cut off the air again.  We woke up
several times in the night to reprogram the thermostat because it got so
warm in the room.  This went on for three nights.

We have said that next time we'll carry a metronome to set up in front
of the motion sensor.  :-)

As an aside, the hotel was charging a $3 per person, per room, per night
"energy fee", but our contract with them precluded it, and we did not
have to pay.

Shelly Henley Kelly
Archivist
Galveston & Texas History Center