Re: My Reservations

                 A ROOM WITH A FEW, or, WHY YOU MAY NOT SEE ME IN D.C.

If my wife and I didn't have five thousand dollars outstanding as a
reservation on a second child, I would be a whole lot less reluctant to
plunk down one hundred and fifty dollars for a hotel reservation two months
in advance...or to have the University of Idaho plunk it down for me, if I
could work that out.  I might not be in the country then.  We hoped to go to
Ukraine to get a little sister for Lilly in July. Alas, late word from our
adoption agency, back in St. Louis, has us traveling  in August, September,
or October.  Lilly is mighty excited about having her single room converted
to a double.  Me?  I'm having palpatations and epizootics.

I hate to miss out on what looks like a very good program this year.  From
session 1, "Documenting Music,"  through session 61, "Managing and Using
Websites..." , there's a lot I'd like to hear and people I want to see.
There are sessions on preserving color slides (sorry, Margie), on digital
records (but Peter's conflicts with the music session), and on research
strategies (with Tibbo and O'Toole). How can I miss those?  I need
information from them for my professional development.  There's even a
session about the A & A Listserv: "Pearls Among Swine."  Will names be
named, Richard?  I would urge, ladies and gentlemen, that all sharp
instruments be placed on the tray by the security guards at the door.  If  I
can make it to the meeting I'll sign autographs for my fans in the lobby
afterwards.  Gosh but I do miss my posts.  Why don't I write much anymore?

Well, in fact, speaking of information seeking behavior, I am writing
something. To those of you, from Boston to L.A.,  who've been helping me,
this past year, with my project on the life and times of Byron Khun de
Prorok, the American Count and archaeologist, many thanks. (For those
intrigued by that description, see
http://sdrcdata.lib.uiowa.edu/libsdrc/details.jsp?id=/deprorok/3&page=1, a
great site from U Iowa's  Special Collections.)  I'd thank you in person if
I could.  I will be in D.C. in late November (unless I'm in Ukraine) to talk
about de Prorok at the American Anthropological Association and will
probably do a introduction for the new editions of his books (see
http://narrativepress.com/search.php).  I have had help from a dozen
different archives already (The NARA papers arrived yesterday, thank you
Milt Gustafson, for finding those obscure items.), and will need more help
yet.  Next step: Search for some pre-WWI public school records in England
(Talk about obscure!), and, with the Renault records just in from NARA-
D.C., finally contact Renault in France.

Adoption plans, my great day job (thank you, IMLS, for sending that money),
and personal research (most of it done at home, I'll add, recalling the
ethics thread a few weeks back.).  That's it for now.

Hmm. About the SAA Meeting. Thinking over that program, I will be there if I
can be there. But don't leave the light on for me.  An extra energy charge
might be added to your bills for that.

Yours for laid-back summerizing,

Michael "Where's My Passport" Tarabulski

Archivist
International Jazz Collections
Lionel Hampton Center
University of Idaho