Re: Vertical file of school info/Friday story

The Medical College building for (then) Grant University, now the University
of Tennessee at Chattanooga, has long had a rumour of spirits associated with
it.  Presumably this stems from the fact that the anatomy lab was in the
basement.  Shortly after the building was finished (1903) an small addition
was made to the building at the back entrance to the basement, for the
purpose of "shielding" from general view the delivery of cadavers to the lab,
although the language was gentler, the intent was clearly such.  In the three
years I was there I could never find any documentation concerning the ha'nts,
but the student newspaper usually ran a story about the rumour every year at
the end of October or thereabouts.  Below are references to the Medical
College Building as taken from the online subject index to the newspaper.
Some of the newspapers have been filmed (sorry NBaker, but I didn't throw out
the originals--they were still there when I left without any plans to destroy
them!) but I believe only up till 1949.  The building was torn down in 1998
and some stories about the building were recounted in the local paper
(www.timesfreepress.com which shows that infamous photo of me climbing up a
pile of bricks wearing high heels and hard hat) and the student newspaper
which is also online, but I don't have that URL handy and the online _Echo_
isn't in the UTC online catalogue.  Not sure why, but then I also couldn't
find the microfilm of the _Echo_ in the catalogue either, though I remember
writing the catalogue record for it.  (If I could see the MARC records I
could figure out the Echo records better.  I always made a distinction
between an electronic finding aid in the 555 and an electronic surrogate in
the 856.  But now I'm rambling cataloguing about which this message isn't
supposed to be!)

Holly Hodges