merging UA with Manuscript collections

Several people asked if I could post the responses to my question about
merging my school's University Archives and Records Management with our
library's Special Collection's Manuscript Collection.

Overall, everyone said that the merger would be positive:

A few people that responded have always had these programs together and
said that it was a benefit for them.  Others replied that maintaining
separate budgets and reporting lines would ensure that one section did
not dominate the other.  One person emphasized the importance of good
working relationships and said that someone will have to be in charge.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has combined long-standing
medium-sized programs.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Kathy Staley