Student Evaluations of Instructors

Among the ten state universities in Florida, there developed a
form for the evaluation of instructors ... it is called SUSAI for
State University System Student Assessment of Instruction.
In talking to our Records Manager, Gus Harris, it appears that
the record copy for each instructor/class is kept in the Department,
probably in the personnel files.

What our university did, however, was provide copies (whole
books in alphabetical order by instructor for each semester) to
the Library for placement on reserve because of the clamor in
the late 1990s from the public about identifying "rotten" faculty.

While the information on these forms is limited and general, I
have known archives to preserve these (perhaps indefinitely)
as a source of information to others who want to see how a
particular instructor is viewed by previous students or what
kind of overall teaching record the faculty member has.

I would be interested in hearing from other archives who have
a similar type of record and whether you keep it or if you keep
only a certain range of years.

Dean
Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338