Re: merging UA with Manuscript collections

I know I'm jumping into this late, but just so's you'll know: our
RM/UA program is part of Special Collections, and hence under the
umbrella of the J. Willard Marriott Library.  However, they are
separate functions from the rest of us in Special Collections.  The
only time we even see them--they're even in a different building--is
at staff meetings and parties, or the occassions when one of us
has to do some work in our collections that are stored over there
(the same building serves as the library's remote storage facility.)

So there's a University records manager, who has under him both
the staff that handles that end of it, the retention and the shredding
and the collecting and the eeyeuw! (I was thinking of the nerd guy
on the Simpsons when I wrote that!); and a smaller staff that deals
with those records of the University that are deemed to have some
historic value.  This person reports to the Director of Special
Collections and is therefore in the library administrative structure;
but in reality they don't have much to do with us.

I should also add that I have all of the University photographs and
films in my collections; and the print archives of the University,
those monographs, newsletters, serials, catalogs, yaddayadda, are
also housed here in the main library in the Western Americana
section, a part of Special Collections as well.

This has just always been this way, and it's always worked, so no
one ever saw a reason to change it.  The real trick has always
been when you have a professor or someone who also has a life
outside the University; where do you draw the line between the
records the person produced during his/her tenure at the U and
what--if he was a regular civilan--would be a manuscript collection?
We've never really answered that question, although we've made
accomodations.

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections