digital camera fees

I did a brief search in the archives of the list and could not find this as
a topic that had been discussed before.

We have received a request that someone be able to use a digital camera to
photograph images in our archives. I know that many institutions would
refuse this request and say that they would have to do their own
reproductions for which the researcher would have to pay. However, as a
local historical society with limited staff and even more limited
photographic reproduction abilities, I am inclined in grant this request.
Further, the researcher is a graduate student with a visual  materials
interest and will be collecting many visual images for her dissertation.

I have a few questions about this. First, do others have experience with
this kind of situation and what have they done about it? Second, what kind
of fees have others deemed appropriate to charge? I am considering no
charge in exchange for copies of the images (although they may be of poor
quality which does make their worth questionable). Otherwise a $2 to $5 per
image fee seems reasonable to me (and perhaps far too cheap to some, but it
would be somewhat in line with our other fees).

Thanks for your input,

Deirdre Routt
Librarian/Archivist
Douglas County Historical Society