Origin of Painting

Hi,
We have a patron who sent us a good copy of a painting that hung in his
bedroom while growing up. I am going to attempt to describe the painting
here and see if anyone on the list can help identify it and/or tell us
where to look for information on it.

tired with books and two candles scattered on a desk next to him - looks
like he is studying late into the night. The desk also has some skeleton
bones - skull, thigh. There is a bottle on the desk like he is drinking
something. Another skeleton is hanging from the ceiling. There is a
clock on the wall that shows it's late at night. In the background,
there is a cluttered bookshelf.
Initials on the painting are F.O.S. The title of the painting is "The
Night Before the Primary." Patron is guessing it is around 1850 and it
may have something to do with medicine/medical school.

Any help would be appreciated, even a referral to a gallery or appraiser
- preferably in the Charlotte, NC area since that is close to the
patron.

Thank you,
Dianne Johnson