2002 SAA Program

Colleagues:
        I need your help.
        I would like to propose to the SAA 2002 meeting committee the
following panel discussion or Round Table for the meeting in Birmingham. AL
in Aug. of 2002.
        subject: supplying archival reference services in the 21st century -
with special reference to genealogists, family historians, and local
historians.
        In looking over the 2001 program I did not see a program aimed at
helping archivists and archival employees with their needs as they provide
services to the research public, especially the genealogical public. (
Except for the pre conference workshop I will be teaching on genealogical
research)  Such patrons form the backbone of the folks who visit my agency
and many others as well. Often a "problem" they can be a great deal of help
when it comes time to ask for increases in budgets, buildings, etc. I would
like to see a good discussion  or series of papers concerning: dealing with
problem patrons, keeping up with the "Jones" from other archives, dealing
with the Internet, etc.
        I need your help. If you are planning on going to Birmingham next
year and would like to work with me on such a proposal, let me know. The
time is short but the "problem" is big.

        thanks.

        Russell P. Baker, CA
Arkansas History Commission and State Archives
One Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201
501-682-6900
russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us <mailto:russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us>