FW: Digitization Standards

Hi Everyone,
I'm fowarding the following request for assistance
to the Listserve. Please relay directly to Sita.

Thanks,
Bob Schmidt
Archives Listserve Coordinator
Miami University Archives
Oxford, Ohio 45056
513-529-6720
rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu
____________________________________

Let me introduce myself. I am the Assistant
Librarian II in the Open
University of Hong Kong. Our library is going to
make the text documents
(such as minutes, papers, reports) in digital
format for easy retrieval in
the web.

I was just wondering what the resolution/file
format for images should be
so that the archived materials can be stored
permanently for 7-10 years.

1. Are there recommended/standard resolutions for
text documents (mostly in
black & white) for archive purpose (for storage
not viewing), or are you
just supposed to experiment and see?

2. Which file format should I be choose for
storage? Have anyone heard
about the PNG (Portable Network Graphics), the
replacement of GIF? Will it
be a suitable or reliable format for "archive
materials"? Any pros & cons
can be suggested?

Your comment please.
Thanks & regards,