U.S. District Court records

Help!

I'm hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction
re: some records that were donated as part of a manuscript collection.

The donor served as an expert witness on a high-profile U.S. District
Court case.  In addition to his personal papers, we received
approximately ten boxes of copies of statements, depositions and
transcripts from this case.  Many are marked "confidential" and others
say things like "Filed under seal pursuant to protective order." In
short, I have this sense that I should be shredding/burning/hiding these
records and not make them available to the public (or simply throw them
back to the donor and run screaming...). I have no experience in working
with such records.

Does anyone know what the regulations and records retention schedule is
like for these types of records?  I'd love to at least be able to figure
out who to call to find out what I've got and what to do with it.  Also,
the donor is still alive and very active in the maintenance of his
papers, and I'd like to be able to give him an intelligent answer if I
do have to either return the documents to him or recommend their
disposal.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Jennie
--
Jennie A. Levine
Assistant Curator for Historical Manuscripts