Re: greeting cards

I don't quite understand the thinking of the person who donated these
greeting cards.  Rob specifically stated that these were family greetings
from his children, grandchildren and wife -- no evidence of complex social
ties here.  A birthday card with a family members's signature on it?  I fail
to perceive any information value in that, now or in the distant future.
Didn't the donor realize that they may have personal significance but no
historical significance?  Was he so egotistical that he believed anything
his hands had touched was ipso facto valuable?  Or was he unaware that these
personal items were included among other papers and would be embarrassed to
find out?