Re: A rose by any other name? I don't think so!

This point is one of the biggest problems in the archival and library
professions:

        "I don't think we should be able to expect to walk up to average
people on the street and expect them to know what an archivist is."
                Most members of the public aren't even aware librarians hold
masters degrees - they think the circulation clerks are librarians - and
archivists are almost entirely unknown.   HOWEVER, the public, the
profession and the collections would be better served , if we could walk up
to the average person on the street and have them at least recognize the
title and that the people preserve records.
                Perhaps we shouldn't expect it, but we should do our best to
help make that scenario a reality.

Sharon A. Pullen, CA
Suffolk County Archivist
Historical Documents Library