digital camera fee results

I was asked to post the results of the inquiry I made last week about what
fees to charge when a researcher wishes to use a digital camera to copy
images in our collection.

I didn't receive many replies to the inquiry but those that I did were
useful. I also took a look at some state historical societies on the web
and their policies and posted fees. But, generally, this has not been
something that there is a lot of information about.

One insitution, of similar size to mine, charges 50 cents per image and
this seems quite reasonable to me and is what we will probably do in the
future. Many larger insitutions do not allow digital cameras to be used.
One state historical society charges an hourly rate which might be
reasonable (and a lot easier to calculate) as well.

For the record, in the particular situation I am dealing with, we will
charge no fee in exchange for copies of the researcher's digital images (on
disks we supply). Given the researcher's situation this seems the fairest
and simplest thing to do.

I imagine that the use of digital cameras and what fees to charge will
become more of an issue. Last week we had some genealogists in who used a
digital camera to copy some records that we would normally photocopy. I
didn't even realise they were using the camera until too late (after at
least one photograph had been taken)and didn't feel able to say anything.
It is something I will be more viligant about in the future though. If
others encounter increasing use of digital cameras I would be interested in
hearing about it in the future.

Thank you very much to all those who replied. I really appreciate it

Deirdre Routt
Librarian/Archivist
Douglas County Historical Society
Library/Archives Center