university histories

--SQaRVCXcddBJCETTSQXGNPLdKRQDMe
Date:    Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:03:47 -0400
From:    rgoerler <goerler.1@OSU.EDU>
Subject: college or university histories

I am discussing with a publisher the creation of a university history that
would:
       be ca. 150-200 pages in length
       be heavily illustrated
       have enough content to serve as a text in a university history class
       appeal to a general audience.

Are there any recent examples I should study as models?

Try these on UW-Madison; "The buildings of the University of
Wisconsin", even though it is longer than you want, is lavishly
illustrated and appeals to a general audience, and is the publication
of the University Archives (still run by Frank Cook at that time).
The second is more of an offical history, in honor of UW's 150th
anniversary.

The other worthwhile publication done for UW's sesquicentennial is
digital, The Wisconsin Electronic Reader, and and I think it fits ALL
your criteria:
http://www.library.wisc.edu/etext/WIReader/

And, appropos of the recent "rose by any other name discussion" I am
a librarian trained as an archivist, have worked as both, and
resorted to library catalogs immediatly to find these things.

debra

Title: The buildings of the University of Wisconsin / Jim
          Feldman.