Retention Policies

Dear List members,
The archives facility here houses both local and county history papers and
items as well as the organization's corporate records.  These corporate
records have piled up because we do not have a retention plan and if the
employees don't want something, they just put in a box and ship it over
here.  We are losing valuable space and time dealing with this problem (ten
years of uncataloged records)  What I would like to do is implement a
retention policy for the entire organization so the archival staff is not
spending hours sorting through ten copies of every brochure and slip of
paper.  I would like to look at some other institution's plans or policies
so I can better formulate the plan for here.  If any of you can suggest
some web sites or would be willing to share experience and or copies, your
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Heather South
Research Archivist
York County Culture and Heritage Commission
212 E. Jefferson St.
York, SC 29745