Re: PDF

It's always interesting to see what topics will drag someone out of
habitual lurkerdom...

I've also been considering putting some of our Annual Reports up as PDF
files for ease of access, but haven't done anything about it yet partly
because I'm not sure the searching/indexing really meets our needs.  In
other words, as I no doubt imperfectly understand it, one can search the
text within a given PDF file, but the text within each file isn't
indexed for the overall site.  So if I wanted to know if any of our
annual reports mentioned research relating to the Galapagos Islands, for
example, I'd have to open up each document and search separately?  Can
anyone more informed than I say whether there's a way to have a
meta-index of PDF documents so that a Web search or our internal web
site search would turn up text within the annual reports?

Thanks, as always, for the excellent counsel of the list!

Michele

--

Michele Wellck
Academy Archivist