Photo Storage - Summary

I got some very useful responses to my request already, and I assume more
will trickle in, but here are my preliminary findings:

1) Is there a reccommended way to store photos?  Upright?  Flat?

As a rule, flat is better, but most responses indicated that space needs
generally have to take precedence.  For 8x10s (which make up the bulk of my
collections) almost everyone felt it would be OK to store upright in any
event.  Larger materials should be stored flat, as should fragile photos

2) Should all photos be placed in Mylar/Polyethylene sleeves? Is there a
preferred product between those two options?

Cost is one of the big factors here - Mylar is considerably more expensive,
but clearer and stronger.  Jeffrey Makala pointed out that Mylar has an
electrostatic charge, and should not be used on photos with cracked or
flaking emulsion so as not to pull more emulsion off.  Consensus seemed to
be it's a great idea to sleeve them all if you can afford them, though it
will add more bulk to your collection and hence take up more space.  Peter
Schmid also noted that Mylar will attract dust & trap excess moisture.

3) Is there a limit to how many prints should go into a particular folder
(other than "don't overstuff")

Some said one to a folder, some 8-10, others as many as will fit comfortably
without overstuffing.  Sounds like a pick 'em to me - chose what fits your
budget and needs best.

4) What can be done to minimize curling?

Humidify the photos; store them front to front; pack the boxes snugly so the
photos are pressed flat.  Storing them flat will also minimize the curling
effect.

Anyway, that's what I have  so far.  My thanks to the respondents, and
updates will follow if there's more of use.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu