PDF Summary, and musings on copyright

First of all, thank you to everyone who responded, as always, in their
generous and knowledgeable and helpful spirit!

It was pointed out that PDF documents are not accessible on all
platforms, so some institutions are putting up finding aids in more than
one format (i.e., HTML or ASCII).  There are also problems with
considering PDF as a preservation format, but most seem to be using it
to improve access, which is what I will be doing.

PDF can be used for interactive forms which can then be submitted
online.  The documents support bookmarking, hyperlinking, annotations,
indexing, and searching capabilities.  However, several people noted
that PDF documents can only be searched individually on the web.

The software also includes security features that do not allow the
documents to copied and pasted to other locations or altered.

Other recommendations:  include a link to the Adobe website in case the
software to read it needs to be downloaded by the viewer; and to
indicate the file size for the benefit of those who want to download it.

Everyone who uses it testifies that it is easy to use and easy to
convert documents (important considerations for me), and produces the
look of the original.

Regarding Adobe's zealous prosecution of copyright law, it's extremely
tricky to balance the rights of the creators of original works with the
need for an open society with a free flow of information using a
(relatively) brand new technology that can't really be controlled.
Although it doesn't usually stop me, I don't know enough about the
technical aspects of the case Cal Lee mentions to comment.  But I am
unable to keep myself from this observation:  look at Microsoft's
scandalous and lawless behavior and their unrepentant arrogance; yet
most of us have Microsoft Office installed on our computers, whether we
want it or not.  Microsoft believes that money talks and they are of
course right.  That is why the copyright law is now so one-sided, and
why we are most likely heading for the Sonny Bono Copyright Law for
Everything and in Perpetuity.  Wait till Disney and Warner see their
copyright expirations looming in less than 20 years.  Fairness and
reason stand little chance against glamour, glitz, and money.  How can
Congresspersons pass fair laws when they have stars in their eyes?
Maybe they'll do the right thing.  Now, why on earth did I get started
on this?

Again, thanks for all your invaluable advice and ideas.  You are all
wonderful!

I better do a disclaimer:  these opinions are my own, and not my
employer's.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, CA
Mt. St. Mary's Archives & Dept. of Special Collections
Mt. St. Mary's College & Seminary
Emmitsburg, MD
301/447-5397
301/447-6868 (fax)