Re: constituent expectation survey

The only thing I can think of is "know who you're asking".  I say that from
(indirect) survey experience at my last job, where we were running a survey
in part, I think, to make sure we had some defense against budget cuts and
the like.  One of my coworkers pointed out that a major company library was
shut down (I can't remember which company) because the survey they ran got
results reporting "I don't use the library"

The problem was, they asked the execs at the company.  Do the execs do the
research?  Of course not, so if you ask them if they use the library, your
answer will be "no".  Had they asked the secretaries/AAs, who get those
barked requests for information from people who "don't use the library", the
answers to their questions would have been different.  Where do you think
the AAs went for information?  DUH!

Anyway, my point is to make sure that the correct people are asked.  If the
survey results show nobody cares, nobody uses stuff, the opposite may result
- rather than going to cashews, you'll be down to sunflower seeds.  I have
to say I personally feel these things are pointless.  Few people respond,
fewer put any thought into their answers, and "do a needs assessment with
various constituencies to see what is needed or expected from Archives."  is
the sort of phrase (with all respect to your supervisor) that only an MBA
with too much time on their hands can come up with.

Used properly, I'm sure there's benefit to be found, but quite frankly I
don't expect you'll learn anything you didn't already know.

Daniel (hoping to move from salted peanuts to Macadamias some day) Sokolow

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu