Re: faxing

Lisa -

Your concerns are ones we have as well.  I sometimes think it's part of
the "instant gratification" thing.........after all, isn't everything on
the
Web????      : -)
I have faxed things to my supervisor when she's been out of town and
needed them, and would be glad to fax something to a USGS
poobah or other USGS person if the urgency warranted it.
I imagine you have similar instances that you would fax something -
an urgent/emergency need on the part of an institutional (your
institution) requestor.
Generally, however, we do not fax material, not only because of the
issues you mention, but because it takes extra time, and I am a staff of
one.  Similarly for the USGS Photo Library, across the carpet from me -
a staff of one.  We are glad to receive requests via fax, and for the
Photo Library, it helps sometimes to have a copy of the picture the
requestor has seen, and is trying to obtain.  Also, since we don't charge
for photocopies, there is no "loss of revenue" as a result of any faxing.
Also, the USGS Denver Library has one fax machine for general staff
use (as opposed to ILL), so faxing lots of pages frequently would also
tie up the machine.
If I have a large request, it just takes longer to send off the photocopies
than it would be if the staff were larger.  Folks are happy that we'll
make the photocopies, AND that it doesn't cost them.
Hope this helps.

Carol

Carol A. Edwards
USGS Field Records Library