From: Kristin Martin [mailto:kmartin@CLEVELANDART.ORG]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 10:11 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Accessions and collections database management systems

Dear fellow listserve members,

Here at the Cleveland Museum of Art we are considering different options for
a database program for collections and accessions management.  Currently we
have an accessions database, homegrown in Microsoft Access, where we enter
information on new accessions, including the office of origin, retention
information, and a preliminary box list.  We can then generate reports on
accessions, search through our records of preprocessed materials, and handle
the disposition of non-permenant records.  Right now, when records are
processed and finding aids are created, we do that in Microsoft Word,
separate from the database.  Processed collections can be made of materials
from various accessions, depending on how we received the materials
originally.  Recently we looked a collections management program call
Re:Discovery, which has an archives module for collections, though no clear
way to map from accessions to processed collections.  I would like know
other archives experiences with accessions/collections management programs.

1.  Have other archivists used Re:discovery and what has there experience
been?

2.  What other database programs are you using for accessions and
collections management?

3.  Does your current database system allow for combined accessions and
collections management, or do you use two separate programs?

4.  Do you have any system for the automatic generation of finding aids?

5.  How do you search both within and across collections?

Thanks for any assistance,

Kristin E. Martin
Assistant Archivist
The Cleveland Museum of Art