Defending scanning fees

Dear Colleagues,

I'd have a question related to the issue of scanning fees.  My department
offers a respectable array of scanning services -- e-mail delivery (low
resolution), floppy disk, zip disk or CD-ROM, inkjet copies on regular or
photo paper.  My fees are nominal.  They are posted on the web at:

www6.semo.edu/kentarchives (under Photograph Collections)

I recently found myself having to defend my fee schedule to a university
professor who feels that fees subvert the mission of the library (the
dissemination of "free" information to users).  I have received letters of
complaint from him, the last one of which he also sent to my Provost.

I'd be most interested to hear from anyone with thoughts on my dilemma.

Thanks in advance.

Lisa Speer, Ph.D., M.L.I.S
Special Collections Librarian
Kent Library, MS 4600