Re: coyright information for researchers

Hi, Dierdre -

1. The 1st place I'd suggest to the researcher would be the Copyright Office
at: http://www.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ1.html

Even though he has already done some reading, the Copyright Office is the
final arbiter!

2. Stanford's site on copyright and fair use is continually updated and
accurate, although sometimes overwhelming:
http://www-sul.stanford.edu/cpyright.html
    and also
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/library/faq.html

3. If your patron is looking for information in books, one excellent source
for the layperson can be found at <nolo.com>. Nolo Press publishes self-help
legal books, especially in the areas of copyrights, patents and trademarks.
They are often far more understandable than information put up by the
experts! Online they have FAQs, an online Encyclopedia and downloadable
files on copyright/fair use issues. Also (since this is a "pay-for" site),
most public libraries and chain bookstores carry Nolo's books because they
are quite 'accessible' to the layperson. [disclaimer: I'm in no way
affiliated with Nolo, but found their works the most helpful in my former
life as a patent/trademark/intellectual property librarian].

Laura Jacobs
Information Literacy/Archives
JDH Library
U Wisconsin-Superior