Re: Smoky odors

Nina, I just did some research for my disaster recovery etc. plan and
this is what I found for advice on getting rid of smoky odors:

Activated charcoal, baking soda, kitty litter, volcanic rock, or teatree
oil can be used to deodorize fire-contaminated materials.  If a small
number of items need to be treated, place the deodorizing material in an
open container next to the contaminated items inside a plastic enclosed
or semi-enclosed chamber, such as a bucket, box, tub, etc.  Make sure
that the deodorizers do not come into contact with the records.  This
method may take several days or a week or more.

If a large number of items need to be treated, contact a vacuum
freeze-drying service.

If the odor is faint and the objects affected are few, expose them to
the air and set up an oscillating fan.

Don't ask me what teatree oil is.  I've never done this, so I'm afraid I
can't give you any practical advice, just armchair theory.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, CA
Mt. St. Mary's Archives & Dept. of Special Collections
Mt. St. Mary's College & Seminary
Emmitsburg, MD
301/447-5397
301/447-6868 (fax)