selling photographic prints in association with exhibit...

If you all would just bear with me for one more question....

We are putting together an photographic exhibit based on the photography of
one of the Seiberling sons that lived at Stan Hywet Hall. This is the first
major exhibit we are putting together, and of course, everyone is trying to
think of how much we can make off of it.

One of the suggestions was to make available reproduction prints of the
images in the exhibit. It would be one of those things where someone would
order the print and we would then have it made at an outside photo lab. I
have been charged with the task of compiling thumbnails of the images to be
printed out on paper in an 'index' that would be available for customers to
flip through at the museum store counter.

As part of my nature, I am cautious about this (ok, really thinking "Run
away - faster!!"). Unfortunately, the exhibit opens Sept. 7th, so there
isn't much time to think this whole thing out. So I turn to my esteemed
collegues on this list! :)

Have any of you had an experience with this? Any tips, things to be aware
of, advice, etc.? These reproductions are going to be available (the
powers-that-be have decreed it), so there's no changing that. Most, but not
all, of the images we have the original negative for (we have copy negs that
would be used for repro.). If you have been through this, how much time was
spent on reproducing? Were there any copyright issues? How did people
respond to it? Am I just being over-cautious (hopefully) and all should be
ok?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Bridgette

Bridgette A. Kelly, Special Collections Manager
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
714 N. Portage Path
Akron, OH  44303
ph: 330-315-3232   fax: 330-836-2680
BKelly@stanhywet.org   www.stanhywet.org

Mark your calendars! We are preparing for one of the country's best arts and
crafts festivals--The Wonderful World of Ohio Mart, October 4-7, 2001!