Re: Smoke Removal

Although there may be a slight chemical migration problem, I have found that
a temporary (say, 6 months) laying-in of an Airwick scent-neutral deodorizer
stick (the ones in the plastic containers) and left barely open inside a box
with the books/objects has gotten rid of the harsh nicotene odor. The better
solution, come to think of it, might be a barely opened box of baking soda,
securely wedged into the storage box, or left out in a temporary store room
with the objects on tables.
I have handled some collections, paper, plastic, ceramic, wood, etc. that
have been absolutely coated with old airborne nicotene and tar from
chain-smoker donors. Ugh! The ceramic stuff (glazed only) and plastics got
handwashed. Everything else was left alone.

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
California State Archives