What's a Primary Source?

Greetings:

The librarians at NMU are once again flailing about aimlessly, and, as usual, have come to the archivist to pull their heads out of their collective behinds.  Why must we suffer such children?

Anyway, here's a question from one of their number concerning the definition of a primary source:

"what type of resource is an essay on a personal webpage, that does not cite any references, and appears to be
the author's own ramblings on a personal subject. Primary?  Secondary? Tertiary
?"

My sense is that this type of source should be considered secondary, since it is published and has an intended public audience.  Also, I understand the source makes bibliographic references to other related material.  However, I thought I'd ask the List for others' opinions.  I apologize if this topic has come up before.

Thanks,
Marcus

______________________ Marcus C. Robyns, CA         &n be and not do is not to be at all
Assistant Professor / University Archivist
Northern Michigan University         1401 Presque Isle          227-1225
Marquette, MI 49855          227-1333 (fax)

First they ignore you.
Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
---Gandhi

Visit the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives at:
http://www.n